Sunday, October 17, 2010

Shutterbug Sunday: Shutter Play

On Tuesday, we completed a nine day exploration of photography in motion at Mortal Muses. I thought it would be a nice tie-in to provide examples of the use of shutter speed to enhance your photos. I would like to thank my flickr and Mortal Muse friends for letting me use their photographs to help demonstate.
time to play
time to play by Tammy Lee Bradley, on Flickr 
Fast shutter speeds can cause a moving subject to appear unnaturally frozen, such as 1/4000 second, as shown in my photograph above. I love the way the die appears to be floating in air.  (aperature f 2.8, lens focal length 35mm)

Throwing leaves
Throwing leaves by kirstinmckee, on Flickr
Kirstin selected a shutter speed of 1/640 sec to capture the constant movement of her children at play. You can almost feel the flutter of the leaves.  (aperature f1.8, lens focal length 20mm)

268/365 Spin
268/365 Spin by Angie JJD, on Flickr
Angie uses a slow shutter speeds in this delightful photograph to cause the moving umbrella to blur and create the illusion of movement, such as 1/60 second, as shown above. (aperature f 8, lens focal length 35mm)

barcode redwoods
barcode redwoods by à la mosey, on Flickr
In the photo above, Mosey combined a slow shutter speed of 1/40 with camera movement to create what she calls a "happy accident of photography." (aperature 1.7, lens focal length of 20mm)
Now it is your turn, grab your camera and play with the shutter speed settings.  I am providing a mcLinky for you to show us your results.  
Until next week, stay sweet.  Tammy Lee
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to use your tips when I get a better camera!! I love your photos...any tips for capturing motion if you have a regular digital camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this topic. I want to play around with this.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes us so happy! Please leave us a kind word.