Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chalkboard doily art.

Remember me?  It's Amy from Mod Podge Rocks, back with another project for your decoupage pleasure.  I've had a dollar store frame hanging around for quite awhile, and I decided it was time to put it to good use.  Given my recent obsession with spray paint, and the fact that I have a large fabric stash, I was inspired to make a sign.  I also love Chalkboard paint, so you can definitely say that I threw this all together.  Enjoy.

Gather These Supplies

Plastic Frame
FolkArt acrylic paint - Pure Black
FolkArt Chalkboard paint - Black
Mod Podge Matte
American Accents spray paint - Lagoon
Paper doily - large enough to fill most of the frame (and write on)
Fabric scrap - at least an 8" x 10" piece
Paintbrush
Foam brush

The first step (which I didn't show) is to spray paint your frame (remove the back) with the color of your choice.  Give several coats and allow to dry.  I could try to show you in a photo how to spray paint, but I would certainly mess something up trying to use so many hands!

Next, prepare your fabric with Mod Podge.  This just means putting a medium coat of Mod Podge on the top of the fabric and allowing it to dry.  The reason for this is so that you can cut it without it fraying.  It also adds an extra layer of protection.  Let the fabric dry.

Spread a medium layer of Mod Podge over the back that came out of the frame.

Smooth the fabric over the back - you can use your hands, I just happen to like using a brayer.  Let dry for 15 - 20 minutes.

Paint the doily Pure Black.  I made a huge mess with this step.  How fun!

Mod Podge the doily down to the fabric and glue the back into the frame.  Allow it all to dry.  Use a foam brush to paint the inside of the doily with chalkboard paint.  Paint three layers and allow to dry.

Follow the instructions on the back of the chalkboard paint bottle to prepare the surface.  Now you have a sweet message center for your home.  It only cost me $1 to make with the frame - all else I had on hand.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes us so happy! Please leave us a kind word.